Acetone: Is It Bad for Your Nails

There is a lot of debate surrounding the use of acetone and whether or not it is bad for your nails. Some people swear by it, while others think that is bad news.

In this blog post, we take a look at the research on acetone, what it does to your nails and if it’s safe to use. And if it’s not, are there any other alternatives?

So, what is acetone and is it safe?

Acetone is a solvent that can be used on its own or is commonly found in nail polish removers. It works by removing nail enhancements from the nail plate. Contrary to popular belief, it is not toxic. However it is dangerous when swallowed so be sure it is kept away from children. Currently, it remains the safest, most effective way to remove nail enhancements.

The greatest concern when utilising acetone to remove nail enhancements is dehydration, which can lead to nails becoming dehydrated or brittle. This can easily be combated by placing a few drops of cuticle oil on your fingers prior to using acetone.

When it comes to the nail industry, acetone use isn't the biggest concern. There are a lot of other things to be concerned about, such as infections which originate from unsanitary salon practices

What are my alternatives?

‘Acetone-free’ removers have been marketed more recently and this has resulted in people thinking that acetone is toxic when it is not. Non-acetone removers include a less aggressive and less efficient solvent that requires more work and effort to remove the nail enhancement which could effectively lead to more trauma to your nails and skin.

Read more here for instructions on how to remove your gel polish safely at home.